- Research & Projects
- Research Interest
- Research Projects
- Technology & Platforms
- Next Generation Sequencing
- Microarray-based technologies
- Low Throughput Profiling
- Optical Imaging
- Advanced Microscopy
- Next Generation Sequencing
- Gene expression and Genotyping
- Optical Imaging
- Project Management
- About Us
CBM is a public-private company, founded with the ambitious mission of acting as a bridge between public research and industry in an extremely important sector, that of “personalised medicine”. It coordinates the Technology Cluster in Biomedicine of Friuli Venezia Giulia, established in 2004 through a framework agreement signed and financed by the Ministry of Education, University and Research and the Friuli Venezia Giulia Region. Located in Trieste within the AREA Science Park, and with laboratories operating in the main regional scientific institutions, CBM manages a network of science centres, companies, governmental bodies, development agencies and financial partners in order to stimulate and accelerate the process that transforms a “scientific idea” into a “product” (a drug, new therapy, new diagnostic system), to the social and economic development of the territory, as well as to the benefit of citizens and society. CBM’s winning strategy is aimed at creating synergies between research, training and technology transfer, by involving entrepreneurs, researchers and students in a series of actions and services.
CBM S.c.r.l. shareholders
AREA Science Park, Aviano National Cancer Institute, Burlo Garofolo Children’s Hospital, Interuniversity Consortium for Biotechnology, ISAS – International School for Advanced Studies, University of Trieste, University of Udine.
Assicurazioni Generali S.p.A., Bracco Imaging S.p.A., Bruker Biospin S.r.l., Eurospital S.p.A, Fondazione Callerio Onlus, Fondo per lo Studio delle Malattie del Fegato Onlus, Friulia S.p.a., Italtbs S.p.a., Instrumentation Laboratory S.p.A., Laboratori Diaco Biomedicali S.p.A., Transactiva S.r.l.
International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP), International Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology (ICGEB), International Centre for Science and High Technology (ICS-UNIDO), TASC National Laboratory, ELETTRA Synchrotron Laboratory.
CBM promotes research and development activities aimed at understanding molecular mechanisms causing diseases, by identifying early diagnosis techniques and developing specific and less invasive therapies. The activities of CBM and of the Technology Cluster focus on nano and biotechnologies applied to medicine. Strategic sectors include genomics, pharmacogenomics, bio-nanotechnologies, molecular imaging and bioinformatics.
CBM, as coordinator of the regional cluster in biomedicine, aims to accelerate the economic growth in Friuli Venezia Giulia through the promotion of innovative early stage businesses and ideas into venture-ready companies providing a continuum of resources to entrepreneurs and the community.
CBM will address the following goals:
- Identify and define the primary stages of capital required to drive the development of science-based businesses.
- Increase the quantity and quality of Friuli Venezia Giulia’s pre-seed, seed and early stage deal flow, capital available to fund the flow and venture capital professionals targeting and investing in the deal flow.
- Encourage local government entities, foundations, corporations, pension funds, philanthropists, individual investors and other sources of capital to expand their involvement as providers of pre-seed, seed and early stage risk capital.
Trieste Science System
The international dimension of Trieste is due in great part to the recognized reputation of its scientific network. Among the most renown institutions and facilities, it is worth to mention the International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP), founded by Nobel Prize Abdus Salam, the International School for Advanced Studies (SISSA), the International Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology (ICGEB), the International Centre for Science and High Technology (ICS), the Synchrotron Light Source (ELETTRA) and finally AREA Science Park, one of six National Research Institutes under the aegis of the Italian Ministry of Education, University and Research, which hosts CBM. In general, Trieste is strongly characterized by a long-established focus on scientific research. Besides the above-mentioned centres and the academic institutions located within the region, Trieste in fact hosts also other entities operating in scientific fields, both in the public and the private sector, forming an evergrowing and interacting community of exceptional worldwide appeal to scientists and professional figures active in the scientific context.
For more information, please visit the website of Trieste, City of Science: http://www.triestecittadellascienza.com
The Friuli Venezia Giulia region is home to a wide and articulated system of Universities, Research Centres and Medical Insititutions bearing worldwide impact in the field of scientific research. These institutes are distributed throughout the various provinces as shortlisted below.
They are supported by regional and macroregional entities, whose aim is the creation of a knowledge network linking these institutions together to foster technological transfer and science dissemination within the region and beyond.
- AREA Science Park
- BRAIN – Basic Research And Integrative Neuroscience
- CIMM – Interdepartmental Centre for Molecular Medicine of the University of Trieste
- CSF - Centre for the Study of Liver Disease
- ELETTRA - Syncrotron Light Source
- HiCoWeb - Hi-Tech Services
- ICGEB - International Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology
- ICS-UNIDO - International Centre for Science and High Technology
- ICTP - International Centre for Theoretical Physics
- IRCCS - Burlo Garofolo
- ISAS – International School for Advanced Studies
- LINFA - Laboratory of the Callerio Foundation
- LNCIB - Interuniversity Consortium for Biotechnology
- TASC - National Laboratory
- Trieste City of Science
- University of Trieste
- CIME - Centre for Regenerative Medicine of the University of Udine
- CISM - International Centre for Mechanical Sciences
- Luigi Danieli Scientific and Technological Park
- University of Udine
- AREA Science Park - Gorizia Centre